2.06.2010

Social media games stole my youth

Mmmmm, I believe I need a nap. The more sane amongst you would tell me I just need to call it a night, or a very early morning, and get the hell to bed. I'm gonna go with a nap. What I NEED, desperately, pathetically NEED, is to get my days and nights back on track. I've never had a problem sleeping in late, and, as long as I'm awake before noon, I don't consider it a day wasted. But it just gets so damned lonely in the wee hours of the morning when I'm still bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and Shawn and Fiona are sawing them off next to me. Even the bird is sleeping! But me? Not me. Here I sit, playing stupid games on Facebook and wondering why someone's tank on Fishville is cooler than mine. It's a Friday night. I am twenty one years old. I don't think I even need to ask you what's wrong with this picture.

Truth be told, though, I feel like I've lived well for my age. No, this is probably not the typical night of a 21-year-old (although many are up at this hour, something tells me they're not getting jealous of other people's virtual fish tanks), but it's the typical night for me. What can I say, as much as I love to go out and get drunk out of my mind and rage until 6am, I'm just as content to curl up in my bed with my boyfriend and my puppy dog and thank my lucky stars I was born into a technologically literate generation. Why the latter portion of that statement, you ask? Without technology to keep me busy, I might actually be doing something *gasp* that is worthwhile- like keeping the sleeping hours of a normal human being, or reading a good book, or working on my writing again-- what on earth would I do without all these mind numbing distractions that have come to define a generation?

I may blog more about this tomorrow, but has anyone seen the 1992 flick Hero? It stars Dustin Hoffman, Gina Davis, Joan Cusack, and Andy Garcia. If not, it's a must see. They don't make feel-good movies like that anymore. Thank goodness for Netflix.

Okay, I'm off to bed. Good morning, world!